The skin is the largest organ in the human body. Being the largest organ means that it performs many functions to the well-being of an individual. As a result of its size and complex functioning, your skin, or epidermis, is prone to many hazardous conditions. Certain skin problems can be very uncomfortable, as they can cause individuals to stay alone so as to not infect others. They can also be tricky to hide since parts of the skin are often exposed. One of the conditions that affect the skin is Rosacea. Downtown DC rosacea offers treatment and more information regarding this condition. Please call today to book an appointment with them.
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a skin condition that causes redness and visible blood vessels on an individual’s face. These signs and symptoms often occur in the regions around the nose, cheeks, and forehead. In some exceptional cases, the symptoms may also spread to the ears, chest, and back. This condition has no cure, but treatment methods are used to prevent or otherwise minimize the symptoms.
What are the common signs and symptoms of Rosacea?
The following signs and symptoms characterize Rosacea:
- Facial redness. This condition usually causes persistent redness, especially in the central parts of the face.
- Swollen and red bumps. Many people who are suffering from this condition develop pimples on their faces which resemble acne scars.
- Eye problems. Individuals with this condition may experience dry, irritated, and swollen eyes and eyelids.
- Enlarged nose. Some individuals tend to have an enlarged nose, although this is not common to all individuals who suffer from this condition.
What are the types of Rosacea?
There are different types of Rosacea. They are categorized depending on the signs and symptoms they show. These include:
- Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea. This type of Rosacea is characterized by symptoms such as redness, flushing, and visible blood vessels
- Papulopustular Rosacea. This type is characterized by facial swelling, redness, and pimples that resemble acne scars.
- Phymatous Rosacea. Phymatous Rosacea primarily affects the skin tone and texture, with facial skin becoming thick and bumpy.
- Ocular Rosacea. This is a common type of Rosacea that attacks the eyes. Its symptoms consist of red, irritated eyes and swollen eyelids.
What are the leading causes of Rosacea?
Research is still being done to investigate the underlying causes of this condition. However, a combination of genetic and environmental factors are believed to be the primary causes. There are also everyday activities that trigger this condition, including:
- Too much basking.
- Consuming hot drinks.
- Eating spicy foods.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Too much vigorous exercise.
- Excessive use of cosmetic products.
How is Rosacea treated?
Doctors generally create a personalized treatment plan depending on the type of Rosacea an individual is suffering from. Advanced medical therapies are performed on a patient to reduce or even prevent the signs and symptoms, with Intense Pulsed Light and Vbeam Pulsed dye laser also used to reduce the skin’s flushing and redness.
Where Rosacea is a dangerous condition, there is a need for more intensive research to find additional solutions to this problem. If you happen to be experiencing such symptoms, please call or visit the Metroderm DC: Medical, Laser, and Aesthetic Dermatology Center in Washington, DC today!