Your teeth experience daily wear and tear no matter how well you take care of them. Unfortunately, very few people look forward to contacting their dentists for routine check-ups. Kenneth Higgins DDS is a professional cosmetics and general dentist who offers various dental services including general and restorative dentistry, to ensures his patients have healthy smiles. General dentistry involves everything from oral exams to gum care. Do not worry if you have a dental phobia and the thought of going for a dental procedure freaks you out. You have a solution in sedation dentistry.
While some people may like the idea of making regular trips to the dentist for routine examinations and cleaning, others might find the thought of going to the dentist’s office terrific. If you are the type that struggles with a phobia whenever you have to go to your dentist and prefer no treatment, then sedation dentistry is what you need. In sedation dentistry, your doctor will use sedation to help you relax and relieve you from anxiety and fear. You will be asleep throughout the treatment, only to wake up when your dentist is through with the procedure.
There are various types of sedation treatments your doctor could use, and the choice will extensively depend on the procedure you are having. The most common treatments include:
- Nitrous oxide gas is also known as the laughing gas
- Oral medications
- Intravenous sedation
You are likely to compromise your oral health if you have dental phobia since you are always anticipating the procedures to hurt. As a result, you could encourage the onset of severe dental complications. Through sedation, you could have your dentist operate without the thought of feeling pain. Apart from not remembering how the procedure was, your dentist will also work faster when not dealing with your anxiety.
Even though you use a proper toothbrush to clean your teeth, there are areas that only a professional dentist can help you clean. General dentistry has various benefits. Apart from evaluating your gums, teeth, and other tissues to check for plaque build-up, the treatment could also help:
- Prevent dental complications. Routine dental cleaning could prevent teeth discoloration.
- Reverse various dental infections. Thanks to technological advancement, your doctor can access tools that could help him detect cavities and infections in the early stages.
- In case your dentist cannot reverse your dental problem, he will use restorative dentistry to enhance your tooth’s appearance. Once the professionals restore your tooth, the tooth will be able to function again.
- Prevent health complications. Your body becomes susceptible to infections when your oral health lowers. General dentistry will help curb oral diseases before they affect your health. General dentistry includes services like
- Preventive dental care
- Implant restorations
- Restorative care
- Fluoride treatments and sealants
While preventive dentistry entails all treatments to help you maintain your oral health, an X-ray will help him assess your oral health status.
Your oral health compromises your overall health. Regular visits to your dentist can, however, prevent the advancement of an oral infection. To learn more about how you can enhance your oral health, contact the dental experts today.