Spider veins appear on the face or the legs, which can affect your appearance and causes discomfort. Even though the veins are not usually painful, they might cause serious problems such as open sores and blood clots on the legs. Fortunately, you can get treatment from a Bowling Green spider veins specialist to improve your appearance.
Spider veins can appear in red, purple, or blue. Below is more detailed information you should know about spider veins.
Why People Develop Spider Veins
The veins appear when the valves stop working well. When this happens, the valves push blood back to the heart. The veins weaken, forcing the blood to flow backward. The blood accumulates and puts pressure on the walls inside the vein, resulting in spider veins. Spider veins on the face are caused by sun damage and increased pressure on the face.
However, some people with a family history of spider veins are at a higher risk of developing them. Also, the veins occur when you stand or sit for extended periods. You may also get the veins due to old age and when pregnant.
Treatment of Spider Veins
Much as spider veins are harmless, you can experience a lot of discomfort. This can affect your overall appearance and have a significant impact on your self-esteem. However, several treatment options can help you feel better. Your doctor can advise you whether to remove or treat spider veins, depending on your condition. Here are several treatment options.
- Change your current lifestyle and take care of yourself to stop spider veins from appearing and prevent them from getting worse. Here are some of the things your doctor will advise you to do.
- Exercise often to maintain a healthy weight to keep the proper blood circulation in the veins.
- Wear sunscreen and hats when outdoors to protect against direct sun damage on the face.
- Wear compression stockings, especially when there is a history of spider veins in your family.
- Keep your body flexible and avoid sitting or standing for hours without moving. Make a habit of walking around for at least 30 to 45 minutes each day.
- Wear loose clothes around the pelvis, waist, and legs to allow easy circulation of blood.
- If possible, keep off hot tubs and saunas. Such places expose your body to excess heat, causing the veins to swell.
- If you drink alcohol, limit consumption to prevent your blood vessels from breaking.
- Elevate your legs often- Make a habit of raising your legs everything you are seated or lying down. This keeps the blood circulating properly.
- See a dermatologist- Much as you may try out some home self-care tips, you will still need to see a dermatologist for professional help. This is crucial for people with underlying health conditions such as rosacea. A doctor will analyze your condition and advise you on the safest treatment option.
Learning about the causes of spider veins is an excellent way to help you understand how to avoid and prevent the veins from occurring. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact your dermatologist for advice on managing your condition.